Finally, we are blessed with sunny evenings and weekends.. The long wait is over. It’s officially now the season of BBQs and picnics. Smell of sizzles, cool refreshing drinks, fun and happiness - What else you need? It is easy to slip into the processed meat eating habit during the season. So here are some tips and recipes for you to keep your family healthy.
- When choosing meat, avoid processed meat products like sausages, burgers, meat balls etc., instead use fresh lean cut meat fillets marinated in homemade sauces or spice blends. This way you will be able to avoid unwanted stuffs like preservatives, additives, artificial flavourings or colours, sugar and excessive salt.
- Use white meat like chicken, duck or turkey instead of red meat. Cut down on saturated fat by following this simple step.
- Cook delicate fishes in foil. Strong meaty fishes like sea breams or king prawns don’t even need foil wrapping. Oily fishes like salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna etc. are good source of Omega 3 oils. Get health giving essential oil while you have fun.
- Marinate your meat or fish at least few hours ago and keep them refrigerated to let the flavours get to know each other. Adding spices and herbs enhance flavour and that means you can cut down on salt.
- Don’t forget your veggies when you go meat crazy. Have a nice salad with your BBQ or Cook them with your meat on a skewer or stuff them in pitta pockets, or whole meal bread or wraps along with meat. Add homemade salsa, guacamole or pesto to your BBQ meal. This way you will get more veggie goodness without even noticing it!!
- Follow balanced whole food diet even when you BBQ. Include wholegrain pitta bread or wraps or buns or breads. Buy those with seeds if possible.
- Barbecued fruits on skewers are ideal sweet way to end your BBQ. Try apples, nectarines, pineapples and serve them with natural fat free yogurt and mint. Easy and Yum!
- Avoid alcohol; instead try some sparkling water mixed with juice or lemon juice or lime juice.
Stay hydrated, have fun and don’t forget to apply sunscreen lotion!
Here are some recipes for you to try:
http://www.nutriadvice.co.uk/Mince-Beef-Patties Shape the meat into patties and grill them on BBQ instead of cooking them in frying pan.